- What should be done to introduce a new system administrator at BMC? [jump in page] 2019-07-10
- May I have SIMCA and MODDE for Windows please? [jump in page] 2019-06-24
- How do I uninstall old Adobe software and remove old license information? [jump in page] 2019-06-05
- What is ZENworks? How to I install applications via ZENworks application window? [jump in page] 2019-02-22
- How to change language in Windows 7 Enterprise [jump in page] 2018-11-06
- How do I install Adobe CC Complete (Photoshop, Illustrator...) in Windows? [jump in page] 2018-06-11
- I would like SPSS on my computer. [jump in page] 2018-05-30
- How do I buy a new computer? [jump in page] 2018-03-23
- How do I use AddPrinterGUI to add printers in Windows 7/8/10 x64? [jump in page] 2018-03-23
- Please help with installing the software Origin! [jump in page] 2018-03-07
- How do I uninstall the Zenworks agent? [jump in page] 2017-12-14
- How do I merge PDF documents with PDF-Xchange in Windows? [jump in page] 2017-08-17
- How to use WinSCP to access files over SCP on Windows [jump in page] 2017-03-31
- How do I start Primula? (or install a new version) [jump in page] 2016-01-12
There are several different systems a new employee may get access to. This is not a complete list of all systems that should be given access to but rather a list of external systems that one should at least be aware of.
Some of these things have to be done before an employee start.
Some of this applies to more than just BMC so you are more than welcome to take a look. Please let us know if there are things we are missing.
Personal computer and work space
Get an office. Chair, table, network. Do you need an ergonomic adjustable table? Make a raid down to the BMC campus office supply cabinet and get some pens, a notebook, a scissor and other office stuff that you might need.
If you have a Mac, get an external hard drive to run local Time Machine backups.
Get a standard PC and/or Mac up and running with the standard installation. When you have a UU account, make sure you are a local administrator.
If you need to, get two USB-sticks, one with Windows (with MDT) and one with latest macOS so that you can reinstall computers. Be familiar with the instructions regarding reinstallation of Windows and macOS.
There is a Mac installation server available on the BMC-Data network. There is a PXE boot menu available on almost all networks where legacy (not UEFI) installations of Windows can be done. Also basic network boot options for installing CentOS, installing Ubuntu and running Memtest86 etc are available there.
Configure the computer to work with eduroam and eduPrint. Make sure it works.
Order a home directory at My Rudbeck and use the Medfarm voucher to get it for free. Make sure you can access this storage on your computer.
Try out Filr the file sync system. Install the Filr client on your computer. Understand where data is stored. Make sure you can access the data both via Filr and directly.
Let your boss order a phone, either fixed phone or mobile.
Activate your access to the VPN service by following the instructions.
Work clothingYou may get your own fancy BMC/UU hoodie at Grolls. Or whatever work clothing you need for doing your job.
Apply for administrator access to the Local IT organisation in the Active Directory. This will control access to USER.UU.SE\BMC and USER.UU.SE\LocalIT\BMCI in the Active Directory. The terminalserver to use is called dcts.user.uu.se.
The group BMC Computing Department in USER-AD (sorry for the odd name of this group) control some access to different systems, including the file share \\BMCIT-Common.files.uu.se\BMCIT-Common aka \\USER.UU.SE\BMCI\Common.
The Zenworks system for management of mainly Windows.
The Symantec server (just FYI).
You need an employee key card. This will grant access to the corridors at BMC but not to other campuses.
You need a key to your office. Almost all offices at BMC campus management share the same lock and key.
After instructions, you may get access to the BMC computer room at D11:0.
The cross connect cabinets of BMC are locked with a special key which could be granted access via the BMC-administration if needed. There exists an extra key in the Nyckelpiga at the basement so one do not need a physical key all the time.
Network management systems
There are some network administrative systems that one should be aware of and maybe given access. This includes:
- NetDB (for IP / VLAN / Mac / Switch-port information) (Ask Netsupport for access)
- NetReg (for Vlan and router and router filter configuration) (you need a static IP for this on your client so fix this in the following system first...)
- Bluecat (the IPAM system for DNS DHCP information) (Ask Servicedesk for access)
Login at Medarbetarportalen. Here you can find for example:
- Sympa - mailing list server. You may want to join these mailing lists:
- Primula Web - wage, vacation, sick leave, parental leave etc.
- Send in reciepts for healthcare (visiting the doctor or prescribed medication)
- Send in reciepts for wellness (gym membership, swimming and many other forms of wellness activities)
- Product Web - procurement
- Progdist - software licence server
- Akka-self service - how to change password and create guest accounts
- eduPrint - the printing system
- EasIT - the helpdesk system. This is the tool to handle support requests.
- Rudbeck-IT has a chat at https://chat.rudbeck.uu.se
- BMC-IT has an old arpwatch at http://net.bmc.uu.se/
Documentation to read
Read the docs in the FAQ at http://it.bmc.uu.se/faq/ and SOPs at http://it.bmc.uu.se/sop/. You do not have to read everything but it is good to have an idea of what it is. Of special interest may be how to reinstall computers with Windows and macOS.
There are more docs at the INV-Common share as well.
Take a look at the central IT helpdesk documentation at mp.uu.se/web/info/stod/it-telefoni
Take a look at the environment and security web pages at BMC. Make sure you know the way to the recycle rooms and to the container for the combustible fraction.
New employee introduction
The university has introductions for new employees. Book in the next scheduled event!
Wellness, waste and environment at BMC
There are a gym, table tennis room, showers and sauna at BMC. Read more at BMC - health. Please note that employees at Uppsala University get a small wellness subsidy every year which can be used for gym membership and other similar activites. Also when job allows you may have one hour of wellness activities every week on paid time.
There are a couple of in-service bikes at BMC, two normal and two are electical. Lend them at the reception.
In order to learn on how to handle waste on BMC, please read the documentation.
Please note that no smoking is allowed closer than 15 meters from any university entrance.
SIMCA and MODDE are running on the same license. The license is a user license paid using Progdist (https://progdist.its.uu.se/). To run SIMCA or MODDE, first ask your license administrator to order a user license for you, then ask your local IT-support to install the software on your computer. Currently you need to use SIMCA version 15. The license server is currently handled by BMC-IT but will be moved during 2019 to central IT. The license server move will not affect your installations.
There are Zenworks bundles for SIMCA and MODDE. There are also packages for SCCM as far as we know, but ask your local IT about the installation.
The software can not be used on virtual machines (like VirtualBox or similar) due to current license limitations.
The license server for SIMCA and MODDE is running on
fra.bmc.uu.se and is listening on the ports 6201/TCP and 6200/UDP.
Uninstall old software
Before you install the latest version of the Adobe software you need to remove the old software and all information about the old license from the computer.
- Uninstall your old software via your computer’s self service portal for installing software:
- macOS: Managed Software Center (or manually via /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers)
- Windows: ZENworks Application (or manually via the control panel)
- Clean the system by running ”Adobe CC Cleaner Tool” to make sure that all information about the old software is removed before trying to install the new software with your new license.
- Additional information from Adobe about how to successfully uninstall Adobe CC software and clean the system:
If you uninstall old Adobe software in the above manner and then install An Adobe Creative Cloude application using a Named User license, a problem can occur with not getting the correct license loggin in to Creative Cloud.
When logging in to Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Application the tab "Apps" is missing. "Apps" is the tab you use for installing and updating all of your licensed Adobe CC Software.
- Delete the file: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml
sudo rm "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml"
- Close all running Adobe CC applications and then restart the Adobe CC Desktop Application.
- Now, the "Apps" tab should be visible.
- Delete the file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\Configs\ServiceConfig.xml
- Close all running Adobe CC applications and then restart the Adobe CC Desktop Application.
- Now, the "Apps" tab should be visible.
Distribution and installation of software
Micro Focus ZENworks is a computer management software.
The most used feature of ZENworks is the ZENworks application window where anyone can easily install software on client computers.
- Open ZENworks Application Window
- Start any program. If it is the first time you have to wait for
the installation to finish.
Remote management session request
ZENworks can make a remote management session request, which makes it possible to do directly cooperative control of a client. The client has to make the request. (This is done together with a phone call to the person the request is sent to and not a way to initiate a request, because the listener has to be started a the other end first.)
- Open ZENworks Show Properties
- Open General under Remote Management.
- Open Request Remote Management Session.
Prerequisite for installing ZENworks Adaptive Agent
If you want to run ZENworks client on a computer that has not been preinstalled by BMC-IT, you have to make sure of this first:
- The computer has to be owned by the university.
- Name the computer like XXX-SERIALNUMBER for example INV-CZC133F3 for a computer with the serial number CZC133F3 at the Department of Neuroscience. This makes it easier to identify the computers.
- Take a backup.
- Install client. Ask firstname.lastname@example.org for help with this.
Computers with Windows 7 Enterprise are installed with a default language. We install with either English or Swedish.
Install Swedish language packThere are two ways of doing this.
- If you are a local administrator you can start Windows Update and find the optional update Swedish Language Pack. Install.
- If you have Zenworks installed you can in the ZENworks application window start Win7 LangPack SE to install the language pack. You don't have to be administrator for doing this.
Change language from Swedish to English
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise may change language after installation if you have more than one language installed.
(The version of Windows pre-installed (OEM) is usually Windows 7 Professional or Home. In those versions language cannot be changed after installation.)
- Start Byt visningsspråk or Change display language
- Change to English
- Copy settings to welcome screen and new users
- Click the checkboxes
- Restart computer
For Windows computers that has a Zenworks agent it is quite easy.
- First restart computer if it has any pending upgrades. Otherwise the installation will fail.
- Open the Adobe Complete application in the Zenworks
- Answer OK once.
- Answer OK twice.
- Wait a very long time (all files are around 14.5 GB) for everything
to install. The files are read from a file server so you have to be
connected to the university network.
- It is possible to open a ZENworks progress window from the status
bar. Step 7 of 8 will take a very long time.
Normally in Zenworks everything may be loaded over the Internet, but in this case, since the package is so large, for technical reasons we choose to install it directly from a file server.
When installing the bundle a request for registration of licenses will be automatically sent to email@example.com who will confirm the registration at appropriate group or department.
For Windows computers that do not run the Zenworks agent, the same package can be installed by a system administrator. Also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for this.
For macOS this installation is more or less manual. Contact email@example.com.
The current cost 2018-04-12 for SPSS is 1500 SEK/year/user. The license is per user.
- For macOS the installation is still manual. Send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have ZENworks and a SPSS icon in the ZENworks Application Window with SPSS in, install it from there. An automatic notification will be sent to BMC-IT who will take care of registration of license.
- If you have ZENworks and no SPSS icon in the ZENworks Application Window, send a mail to email@example.com to put it there after registration of a license.
- If you do not have ZENworks on your computer, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to do a manual installation.
This is how to install SPSS in Windows via ZENworks and trigger license registration
- Open ZENworks application window and click on the SPSS 22 icon.
- Accept the costs involved with license registration.
- Wait a while for the installation to complete.
- You can now start SPSS from the Start menu.
Contact BMC-IT at email@example.com and describe what you need. We have prepared a couple of standard models.
Be aware of that Uppsala University is a government facility. This means we have to obey LOU, Swedish Public Procurement Act / Lagen om offentlig upphandling / SFS 2016:1145. This means we are not allowed to go down town in Uppsala to any shop and buy a computer. Or to any web-shop.
Please read the Procurement
The university has a procurement division that have prepared a web site called Produktwebben with many different computers and models. Not all are appropriate to buy even if they are listed there. Technically any group/department can order from Produktwebben, but there may be other policies at the group/department, like wanting all computers to be pre-installed or of certain models to save time (and money). Please check first.
Over time, some things have shown to be of extra importance when considering which computer to buy:
- The manufacturer should have at least three years support but up to five year support.
- The manufacturer should have next-business-day on-site-service. If the computer breaks down it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to come to us. We do not have to send the computer in to them via mail to fix it or pay for this service. This saves a lot of time and money.
- The computers should not be of cheapest consumer grade but built to work for a couple of years with replacement parts available. Usually all computers with three year support (or more) are not consumer grade.
- Windows Home edition is not supported. We prefer reinstalling computers with Windows Enterprise. Windows Pro may be acceptable if reinstalling is not possible.
At BMC-IT we have prepared some models that we find reasonable and have tested. This means we can quickly install them with operating system (multi language Windows Enterprise or macOS), all drivers, the department printers and common applications like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, EndNote, MATLAB, Symantec Endpoint Protection, ZENworks etc.
New odd PC models (like any PC model from produktwebben) that have not been tested first cannot be expected to be easily reinstalled right away. New Mac models are fine when running the latest macOS.
If you have ZENworks on the computer
Look for the app PrintGUI in the ZENworksapplication Window and start it.
Continue below with installing the printers.
If you do not have ZENworks
Access the share:
- If the computer is connected to the Active Directory at Uppsala University (USER-AD) then go to the share \\user.uu.se\BMCI\Common
- If the computer is NOT connected to the Active Directory then the same share can be reached at \\bmcit-common.files.uu.se\BMCIT-Common or \\uuit-nasutus.its.uu.se\BMCIT-Common
Either map the drive in Windows or navigate to the paths in File Explorer.
Here is an example from Windows 10 when we navigated to \\bmcit-common.files.uu.se\BMCIT-Common:
Here is an example from Windows Server 2008 when we navigated to \\bmcit-common.files.uu.se\BMCIT-Common:
Here is an example how it looks like in Windows 7 when we navigated to \\user.uu.se\BMCI\Common:
Enter the directory called Apps_Printers_PC. There should be a file called AddPrinterGUI.exe. Open it.
You really want to start it.
The application shows a list of printers. The list is different depending on what subnet (department) your computer currently is located (or computer name). To view all printers in the application click on All but usually you don't need to since all printers you have access to should show up in the list.
Choose your printer and install it by double clicking. Wait a moment for it to install.
You have to be local administrator to add a printer.
If your printer do not show up in the list
AddPrinterGUI and the drivers installed with AddPrinterGUI are only available in English.
The full list of printersThe full list of printers that AddPrinterGui is using is stored in the file PrinterList.txt in the same folder.
Origin is a proprietary computer program for interactive scientific graphing and data analysis. It is produced by OriginLab Corporation, and runs on Microsoft Windows.
Read more about Origin (software) at Wikipedia.
Uppsala University has (via the Department for Chemistry, the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Department of Engineering Sciences) a floating site-license for Origin for 200 simultaneous users.
Download for Uppsala university, go to http://www.uu.se/goto/origin.
For questions or support contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The easiest way to install is using Zenworks Applications.
Zenworks is used for these major reasons:
- Do automatic installation of software and settings when the computer is deployed. Some of the effort in this is shared all over the university.
- May be used for remote interactive control by user request.
- Self-service installation of software by the users, even without local administrator privileges, and far away from the university network over the Internet.
- Do inventory. This may save a lot of time when we really need to find out exactly how many copies of a certain program are installed on the computers.
The Zenworks agent load on the computer is not much on a modern computer, but if the computer is very old and slow there are a chance to notice a performance impact. In this case you might want to uninstall the Zen agent even though this will increase the load of your local IT-support. There are often other better ways of speeding up the computer:
- Make sure the computer has enough RAM. Upgrade to at least 8 GB RAM so that all programs fit in memory.
- Replace HDD with SSD. Solid state drives are a lot faster than rotating hard disk drives.
- Reinstall Windows. Windows-computers seem to get slower and slower over time. An extreme example was Windows Update in Windows XP that got glacially slow over time. This has been improved with later versions of Windows but it still exists.
In the Zenworks console
Anyway. The Zenworks agent is protected from uninstallation by the settings in Zenworks. A system administrator (contact email@example.com) has to open the client in the Zenworks console, open Settings, open Device Management, open Zenworks Agent, choose Override the System settings and enable the option Allow users to uninstall the ZENworks Adaptive Agent.
On the computer
- You have to be local administrator on the computer.
- Refresh the Zenworks agent in the task bar.
- Then on the computer open Programs and Features
- Find the Zenworks client and choose uninstall.
- Check the box Local uninstallation only.
- Do not keep anything. Do not retain CASA.
- Ok, go ahead...
- Wait for the Zenworks Uninstaller to complete.
- It will probably complain about not being able to remove
everyting, but just go ahead and restart when done.
- Uninstall done.
- Install PDF-Xchange PRO via the ZENworks Application Window:
- Wait for it to install.
- Opening the Zenworks Progress window by
right clicking on the ZENworks icon in the mini-taskbar show the
installation progress. This is optional.
- PDF-XChange will launch directly when installation is done. It
will ask you if you want to use it as a default PDF application. You
can do that, but it is optional.
- Start from the menu File (Fil) - New document (Nytt dokument) - Combine Files into a single PDF...
- Pick Add Files (Lägg till filer...). You can choose several at the same time.
- Press OK. You now have the new document in PDF-Xchange.
- Click the Save icon or Save as... (Spara som...) in the menu.
- Pick a name and click Save (Spara). The documents should now be merged in the new file.
SCP is encrypted making this a relatively secure way to access files even from home or over WLAN (wireless network).
- Download and install WinSCP from http://winscp.net/eng/download.php or open it in ZENworks application Window.
- Login on the server, in this example neuro-l2.neuro.uu.se using your username and password A.
- Accept the host key.
- Access your files. This is your home directory. If this is on a file server where the group store data. you should not put stuff here.
- Change directory into the share for your group. On this
particular server the shares are located in /data/hl,
/data/kl2 etc. Go here by clicking on the / in the location and then on data.
Or click on this little icon first and then on data.
- Open Zenworks Application Window
- Find the Pimula Icon in the ZENworks Window
- Doubleclick to start. If this is a new version you
have to wait a bit for it do download and install first.
- Next time, Primula can be started from the Start Menu in
Windows. Primula has an automatic upgrade function, but it does not
always seem to work. To install a new version, follow this instruction