Microsoft Office 2010, 2013 or 2016 on Windows 7 or Windows 10 connected to the USER-AD, the university Active Directory (using the university accounts), should automatically activate on the university network.
If it does not work or if the computer is not part of the Active Directory, follow these steps:
- Connect computer to the wired network at your department.
- Start an elevated command prompt window - run cmd (command prompt) as administrator. Please see the FAQ How do I check if I am a local administrator in Windows? on how to do this.
- Enter the Office installation directory (
- Office 2010 (32-bit)
- Enter the Office installation directory with typing cd c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Office 2013 (32-bit)
- Enter the Office installation directory with typing cd c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Office 2016 (32-bit)
- Enter the Office installation directory with typing cd c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16
- Office 2016 (64-bit)
- Enter the Office installation directory with typing cd c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
- Run the activation script:
- First try to run the command cscript ospp.vbs /act. (Read more about this here: Tools to manage Office 2013 volume activation.)
- If the computer cannot find the KMS-server (you may be behind NAT in a virtual machine) you can try the command: slmgr /skms kms.user.uu.se first and then the command slmgr /ato to activate (Windows) or cscript ospp.vbs /act (just Office).
- If that doesn't work try cscript ospp.vbs
/sethst:kms.user.uu.se and then cscript ospp.vbs /act
To find the correct host (currently Feb 2021 kms.user.uu.se) follow these instructions: How to discover Office and Windows KMS hosts via DNS and remove unauthorized instances
- Close the command prompt window.
If an old version if Windows in some way managed to block the new installation, then run the EasyFix uninstall tool from Microsoft
- Uninstall Office 2016, Office 2013, or Office 365 from a PC using the easy fix tool (Really useful if you have an Surface Pro or any other new computer with pre-installed Office 365 that you want to get rid of!)
- Uninstall or remove Office
It is possible to do a manual uninstall of Office
- Manually uninstall Office 2016 or Office 365 (I have never had to do this yet.)