When updating Windows Pro 7 to Windows 10 activation may fail. The name of the university KMS-server has also changed a few times, making Windows computers using the old name get unactivated.
It may look like this:
How to activate Windows
- Connect to the university fixed network (ethernet).
- First start a command window as administrator.
- The command
slmgr.vbs /atoshould try to do an automatic activation if the computer is part of the Active Directory. If it is not part if the Active Directory you need to specify the KMS-server, see below.
- If that do not work, try to specify the activation server first
slmgr.vbs /skms kms.user.uu.seand then followed by
- And if that do not work, try to reset the product key and then do
an activation with the command
- Display information about activation with
slmgr.vbs /dli. It should look like this:
- You can also check when the license expires with the command
- If things do not work, maybe the KMS-address has changed? You can
also check the current address with the command
nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp.user.uu.se. If that is the case, the address kms.user.uu.se should be changed to the new one. Please send mail to email@example.com to let us know if this is the case. In the example below both reference to the same server which is correct.