Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
First, if the anti-virus program catches the virus, it is usually not a big problem and the infected file may have been put in quarantine.
These instructions are mainly meant for Windows.
Try to clean the computer with Symantec Endpoint Protection and McAfee Stinger
- Run LiveUpdate in SEP again. If there is a new definition now SEP might be able to clean up the file.
- Run Full Scan in SEP.
- If the files are in quarantine, open with View Quarantine in SEP.
- Delete permanently or clean the files
- Download another antivirus tool. We recommend McAfee
Stinger. Download a new version directly from McAfee which
includes updated virus definitions. Do not download tools from
unknown sources if you do not trust them.
- Wait for it to complete.
- We seem to be safe.
How do I enable and test the Symantec Endpoint Protection?
- Open Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Make sure the Status is green like this:
- Test by going to EICAR site and download a test-virus. You may have to download the Zip to even be able to get it to your computer.
- SEP should print a warning message when trying to run the test-virus.
- And also show a detection result window:
How to fix the computer to be safe?
Computers that have been running with a virus or trojan usually download a lot more trojans and viruses. It is really hard to clean them all. To be sure, reinstall computer.
- Contact email@example.com for advice. How to do this the most efficient way depend on the computer and environment. For example, if all files are on the file servers then just reinstall computer.
- Get a new (or an other unused) harddrive.
- Replace the old harddrive with the new one.
- Install operating system and applications on the computer using the new hard drive.
- Copy files from the old hard drive to the new computer while checking them for viruses.