- Go to the Apple menu and go to About this computer or Om den här datorn.
- Check Memory in GB too see what is currently have. Example with macOS Yosemite and 16 GB.
- Open the Memory tab to see how the memory banks are populated:
- The more memory the better:
Tasks Memory Writing, Web browsing, Mail Running Virtual Machines with Windows Several Virtual Machines, MATLAB with large datasets, Photoshop with very large images, building large apps locally etc 2 GB RAM Upgrade (works but very slowly - one task at a time) Upgrade (not possible) Upgrade (not possible) 4 GB RAM Ok Upgrade (works but really slow hard to work in both at the same time) Upgrade (not possible) 8 GB RAM Great Ok Upgrade (works but slow) 16 GB RAM Great Great Ok 32 GB RAM Great Great Great
- Find out what model you have. Example from above Mac mini (middle 2011)
- Send a message to email@example.com. Supply the following information:
- What model the Mac is (see above)
- How much memory it currently have (see above)
- What room it is in. (Check your room number above the door)
- Payment details. (The research group leader and research group name)
- Your contact information (phone number) unless it is in the university catalogue.
- As Local IT (or interested user) Go to a website with all Apple models and their memory
upgrades. Here are two examples from two memory manufacturers:
At EveryMac you can also see the highest version of the operating system that is possible to run.
- As Local IT: Buy memory via produktwebben.
Please note, this is done by the Local IT. Do not do this unless you really know what you are doing. And then you are on your own if the memory do not fit or something else goes wrong.
- As Local IT: Install memory on the Mac.
- Reset the Mac parameter memory. After rebooting try and hold down
these four keys together until it reboots again:
- Change the order of the memory physically. This may just clean the oxide from the connectors.
- Remove the memory modules, one at a time, and run the computer with the remaining memory to see of this solves the problem. Replace the faulty memory module.