Clarification from the IT department regarding terms and licensing of Oracle Java
- Java 8 up to u202 is free to use on computers for general office use by an end user.
- Java 8 in newer versions requires a paid license.
- Java 8 regardless of version requires a paid license on instrument computers, lab computers, application servers and other computers that are not for general office use.
- The "Desktop License" for Java is Named User, so a license is needed for every person who uses instrument and lab computers. In that case, it is the number of people and not the number of computers that is important. For example, if an institution has 15 researchers using an instrument computer and two lab computers with Oracle Java installed, 15 desktop licenses need to be purchased.
- The "Processor license" applies regardless of the number of users, but quickly becomes expensive in large virtualized environments. If you have a virtual server with a core of Oracle Java, and the cluster where the server runs has a total of 16 processors with 8 cores each, you need to purchase 64 processor licenses (modern x86 processors have a "Cora Factor" of 0.5) to be properly licensed. In other words, we prefer not to virtualize servers with Oracle Java.
Information from the university license department
Inventory and registration of Oracle Java licenses
Oracle has announced that from January 2019, support and updates of Java 8 SE for "non General Purpose" are not provided free of charge. If Java has been downloaded from oracle.com, the license terms have been accepted and installation is associated with a license fee. Oracle intends to carry out audits regarding Java utilization and it is important to acquire and register the required number of licenses for the installations concerned in order to avoid costly fines.
Registration is made in the university central license register, https://progdist.its.uu.se, by the institution's license manager/equivalent. For further information on licensing Oracle Java see also: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overt.its.uu.se
The registration must be completed before 2019-06-30, after which the possibility of registration is closed and a total purchase is made for the entire university of the total number of registered licenses. The license form is annual license subscription, the purchase of a license for part of the year is not allowed and the subscription period applies to the entire university. License costs are allocated per respective institution/equivalent.
If Oracle Java can be replaced by free products, this should be done. NB - if this has already been done after 2019-01-01, a license must still be registered.
Questions regarding inventory of installed software, versions, alternatives to Oracle Java etc are sent to email@example.com.
Questions about license registration are sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.